Today, my brother gave me some innards to cook. He wanted to have papaitan for dinner. Hence, this recipe.
Papaitan Kambing “Pinapaitan nga kalding”or Goat Innard Stew (Bitter Goat Stew) is a unique Ilocano cuisine that has a main ingredient of goat’s tripe, intestines, lungs, kidney, liver and papait (bile liquid).
2 kgs. goat’s tripe, lungs, intestines, & kidney – boiled until slightly tender then sliced into tidbits
1/4 kg. boiled goat’s blood – boiled and sliced into cubes
10 pcs. siling haba (banana peppers/chili fingers)
3 tbsp. patis (fish sauce)
4 pcs. medium sized red onion – finely sliced
6 cloves garlic – crushed and minced
4 fingers of ginger crushed
2-3 tbsp. rock salt
1 tsp. magic sarap
1/4 cup pure papait (bile liquid)
2 liters of water
1) Saute garlic until light brown, followed by the onion and the sliced and boiled goat’s intestines.
2) Add the ginger, patis and magic sarap and continue sauteing until liquid is reduced or until intestines turn to light brown.
4) Add the boiled goat’s blood, water and salt, let it boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
5) Add the papait and siling haba then simmer for 2-5 minutes. Taste it and add salt if necessary.
6) Ready to serve with steamed rice. This is best to eat when it’s hot.
I hope you guys like it! Please don't forget to leave some feedback.